Research article #1
Hutchison, A., Nadolny, L., & Estapa, A. (2015). Using Coding Apps to Support Literacy Instruction and Develop Coding Literacy. The Reading Teacher, pp. 1 - 11.
ARticle #1 Questions
1. Knobel and Lankshear were quoted in the article discussing new literacies, do you believe that coding has a place as a new form of literacy? Why or why not?
2. How do you the Hour of Code has impacted computer science education?
3. Prior to the introduction of the Hour of Code program, do you believe that there was enough attention paid to computer science or programming education in schools?
4. How could you use a coding app like Scratch or ScratchJr. in your practice?
Research Article #2
Fessakis, G., Gouli, E., & Mavroudi, E. (2013). Problem Solving by 5-6 Year Old Kindergarten Children in a Computer Programming Environment: A Case Study. Computers & Education, 63, pp. 87 - 97.
Article #2 Questions
1. In the introduction, the authors mention the importance of developing higher order thinking - which here means, learning that requires more cognitive effort - how does coding inspire this type of thinking?
2. How does the behaviour of individuals affect the willingness to invest time and effort into new skills that would be required for coding? Elaborate the points made by the authors.
3. In a module-based online program, how can the stresses and constraints associated with task acquisition be mediated?
Research Article #3
Kafai, Y., & Burke, Q. (2014). Connected Code: Why Children Need to Learn Programming. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Chapter 2: Connected Learning, pp. 19 - 30
Note: some of the pages are omitted from the preview on google books, but the essence of the article is still present.
Article #3 Questions
1. According to Papert, the learning environment should take on a more constructivist methodology, does coding have a place in a constructivist classroom? Why or why not?
2. Kafai & Burke recognize that learning is a collaborative process, so how can we use coding principles to encourage this type of learning?